Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment is a non-regulated professional qualification designed by London School of Finance and Law for finance students and practitioners who want to gain general knowledge or upgrade existing skills in areas related to real estate economics, investment and property management.
- An introduction to land and urban economics
- Concepts of supply and demand in real estate markets
- Real estate cycles
- Types of private assets and properties
- Property appraisal and valuation methods
- Accounting statements for real estate projects
- Commercial real estate pro forma modelling
- Real estate portfolio modelling
- Methods of financing the purchase of a property
- Structured products in the property market
- Direct and indirect property investment strategies
- Economic theories of sustainable real estate
- The legal framework regulating real estate markets
- Property taxation in the UK
- Conducting a small-scale research project on real estate markets
You will be able to select any two optional courses* from the following LSFL course list to complete your qualification:
- Corporate Finance
- Economic History
- Business Economics
- Business Mathematics
- Financial Management
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Behavioural Economics and Finance
- Economics for Investment Decision-Making
- Business Valuation Methods
- Investment Appraisal Methods
- Sources of Finance for Businesses
- Interpretation of Financial Statements
- Personal Financial Planning
- International Taxation
- Inheritance Tax, Trusts and Estates
- Taxation: Property and Investment Income
- Sustainable Finance: Major Issues in ESG and SR Investing
* The optional courses are free if taken as part of this qualification. You will be sent details about registration for the optional courses after you start your studies with us.
Key features of the course
- Flexibility to suit your needs – allowing you to study anytime, anywhere
- An emphasis on personal and professional development through independent learning
- Relevance of topics and practical examples to the context of your own professional practice
- Illustrative practice activities with solutions, “test your understanding” activities and tutor-marked assignments, including a final report, to reinforce learning
The course team runs a dedicated Twitter account: LSFL Urban Policy, Economics and Finance @UrbanEconFin.
The course can be taken alongside your degree or professional qualification studies elsewhere or as part of your informal career development programme.
Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment is awarded by London School of Finance and Law, allowing you to work as a consultant or an analyst in a property investment company in the UK or overseas.
- Knowledge and understanding of core subject areas
- Independent and critical thinking
- Problem-solving and reasoning
- Practical and professional skills
- Data handling, analytical skills and overall research literacy
- Communication, team working and time management skills
- Real estate companies and REITs
- Accounting professions
- Financial management
- Tax advisory
- Investment analysis and management
- Insurance/pension funds
- Business administration
- General management
- Sales and marketing
- Risk management
- Management consultancy
- Professional bodies
- Professional training
- Coaching, mentoring and counselling in finance, tax advisory and business management
- Government offices and NGOs
Online learning with tutor guidance and support
How long it takes
12 months (480 hours)
You need to be able to spend approximately 10 hours per week on studying this course.
Teaching and assessment
A tutor will guide you throughout the study process and mark and comment on your written work. You and your tutor will primarily communicate with each other through email.
The course work includes online practice tests, tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment. The end–of-course assessment is a 20-30 page qualification paper on a topic related to real estate markets, property finance and investment.
You must use the online VLE-system to submit your tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment.
The Pass mark for the course is 50%.
All study materials are provided on the course website.
Microsoft Office presentations and Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) versions of study material are available.
A computer with a browser and broadband internet access is required for this module. Functionality may be limited on mobile or tablet devices.
If you have a disability or particular study requirements, please tell us as soon as possible.
Fees and funding
Course fees for 2023/2024 academic year: £2,280
Course fees cover registration, course materials, tuition and assessment.
LSFL course fees depend on the level and duration of courses: check all tuition fee rates for the current academic year here.
You may be eligible for tuition funding.
Next term start date: 20 January 2024
The module website will be available to registered students three days in advance of the module start. Module sessions will be opened every week or every two weeks to enable tutor-led, gradual progression through the study materials and continuous assessment.
Course registration is open, but please be aware that due to the increased demand it may take us longer to respond than usual.
Registration closes 10 January 2024 (places subject to availability)
Registration for current students:
Registration for new students:
You have to register as an LSFL student to study this course.
Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment starts three times a year – in January, May and September.
You might also be interested in
English language requirements
There is no formal requirement to prove your English language proficiency to study our courses. If English is not your native or second language, or you would like to improve specialist language skills necessary for your profession, you may complete one of the following English language courses:
A full range of our English language courses can be viewed here.