Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment is a non-regulated professional qualification designed by London School of Finance and Law for finance students and practitioners who want to gain general knowledge or upgrade existing skills in areas related to real estate economics, investment and property management.
- An introduction to land and urban economics
- Concepts of supply and demand in real estate markets
- Real estate cycles
- Types of private assets and properties
- Property appraisal and valuation methods
- Methods of financing the purchase of a property
- Direct and indirect property investment strategies
- Economic theories of sustainable real estate
- The legal framework regulating real estate markets
- Property and taxation in the UK
- Conducting a small-scale research project on real estate markets
You will be able to select any two optional courses from the following LSFL course list to complete your qualification:
- Economic History
- Business Economics
- Business Mathematics
- Financial Management
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Business Valuation Methods
- Investment Appraisal Methods
- Sources of Finance for Businesses
- Interpretation of Financial Statements
- Taxation: Property and Investment Income
- Sustainable Finance: Major Issues in ESG and SR Investing
Key features of the course
- Flexibility to suit your needs – allowing you to study anytime, anywhere
- An emphasis on personal and professional development through independent learning
- Relevance of topics and practical examples to the context of your own professional practice
- Illustrative practice activities with solutions, “test your understanding” activities and tutor-marked assignments to reinforce learning
The course can be taken alongside your degree or professional qualification studies elsewhere or as part of your informal career development programme.
Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment is awarded by London School of Finance and Law, allowing you to work as a junior clerk in a property investment company in the UK or overseas.
- Knowledge and understanding
- Key skills
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Transferable skills
- Real estate companies and REITs
- Accounting professions
- Financial management
- Tax advisory
- Investment analysis and management
- Insurance/pension funds
- Business administration
- General management
- Sales and marketing
- Risk management
- Management consultancy
- Professional bodies
- Professional training
- Coaching, mentoring and counselling in finance, tax advisory and business management
- Government offices and NGOs
Online learning with tutor guidance and support
How long it takes
12 months (480 hours)
You need to be able to spend approximately 10 hours per week on studying this course.
Teaching and assessment
A tutor will guide you throughout the study process and mark and comment on your written work. You and your tutor will primarily communicate with each other through email.
The course work includes online practice tests, tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment. The end–of-course assessment is a 20-30 page qualification paper on a topic related to real estate markets, property finance and investment.
You must use the online VLE-system to submit your tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment.
The Pass mark for the course is 50%.
All study materials are provided on the course website.
Microsoft Office presentations and Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) versions of study material are available.
A computer with a browser and broadband internet access is required for this module. Functionality may be limited on mobile or tablet devices.
If you have a disability or particular study requirements, please tell us as soon as possible.
Next term start date: 20 January 2022
The course website will be available to registered students three days in advance of course start. Course sessions will be opened on a weekly basis to enable tutor-led, gradual progression through the study materials and continuous assessment.
Course registration is open, but please be aware that due to the increased demand it may take us longer to respond than usual.
Registration closes 15 January 2022 (places subject to availability)
Registration for current students:
Registration for new students:
You have to register as an LSFL student to study this course.
Tuition fees depend on the level and duration of courses: check tuition fee rates for the current academic year here.
You may be eligible for tuition funding.
Professional Diploma in Real Estate Economics, Finance and Investment starts three times a year – in January, May and September.
You might also be interested in
English language requirements
There is no formal requirement to prove your English language proficiency to study our courses. If English is not your native or second language, or you would like to improve specialist language skills necessary for your profession, you may complete one of the following English language courses:
A full range of our English language courses can be viewed here.