What you will study
- Types of professional service businesses
- Subsectors of professional service firms
- Creating value for the client: basic support, business development and coaching in management consultancy, accountancy and tax advisory practice
- Essentials of organisational behaviour: organisation structure, benchmarking, partnership and governance structures
- Talent management basics: professional staff recruiting and retention, compensation, career tracks and professional development
- Organising teamwork, collaboration and communication among professionals
- Supervising, coaching and mentoring professionals for higher performance and productivity
- Specificity of operations management in professional service firms
- Finance, accounting and internal auditing
- Sales, marketing, client relationship management and reputation
- Resource management: quality management, knowledge management and service innovation
- Strategic management: strategic development and risk management
- Enabling digital transformation in a professional service enterprise
- Leading ethically: corporate governance, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion
- Conducting a small-scale research project on managing professional service firms
You will be able to select any two optional courses* from the following LSFL course list to complete your qualification:
- Corporate and Business Law
- Corporate Finance
- Forensic Accounting
- Financial Management
- Performance Management
- Taxation (UK)
- International Taxation
- Personal Financial Planning
- Inheritance Tax, Trusts and Estates
- Behavioural Economics and Finance
- Economics for Investment Decision-Making
- Sustainable Finance: Major Issues in ESG and SR Investing
* The optional courses are free if taken as part of this qualification. You will be sent details about registration for the optional courses after you start your studies with us.
Key features of the course
- Flexibility to suit your needs – allowing you to study anytime, anywhere
- An emphasis on personal and professional development through independent learning
- Relevance of topics and practical examples to the context of your own professional practice
- Illustrative practice activities with solutions, “test your understanding” activities and tutor-marked assignments, including a final report, to reinforce learning
- Advanced diploma from London School of Finance and Law upon course completion
This non-credit advanced diploma is intended for students or professionals who want to gain general knowledge, learn a new skill, upgrade existing skills or develop personal interests in subjects related to business management and finance.
This course can be taken alongside your degree or professional qualification studies elsewhere or as part of your informal career development programme. It will be of particular value to undergraduate, postgraduate or professional students of business management, finance, economics and accounting. The course is also suitable for the administrators, managers and partners of professional service firms, including law firms, accounting and tax advisory practices as well as financial planning and business consulting firms.
- Knowledge and understanding of core subject areas
- Independent and critical thinking
- Problem-solving and reasoning
- Practical and professional skills
- Data handling, analytical skills and overall research literacy
- Communication, team working and time management skills
- Accounting professions
- Financial management
- Tax advisory
- Investment analysis and management
- Business administration
- General management
- Sales and marketing
- Risk management
- Management consultancy
- Professional bodies
- Professional training
- Coaching, mentoring and counselling in finance, tax advisory and business management
- Government offices and NGOs
Online learning with tutor guidance and support
How long it takes
12 months (384 hours)
You need to be able to spend approximately 8 hours per week on studying this module.
Teaching and assessment
A tutor will guide you throughout the study process and mark and comment on your written work. You and your tutor will primarily communicate with each other through email.
The course work includes online practice tests, tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment. The end-of-course assessment is a 20-30 page report on a topic related to management in professional service firms.
You must use the online VLE-system to submit your tutor-marked assignments and end-of-course assessment.
The Pass mark for the module is 50%.
All study materials are provided on the module website.
Microsoft Office presentations and Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) versions of study material are available.
A computer with a browser and broadband internet access is required for this module. Functionality may be limited on mobile or tablet devices.
If you have a disability or particular study requirements, please tell us as soon as possible.
Fees and funding
Course fees for 2023/2024 academic year: £2,160
Course fees cover registration, course materials, tuition and assessment.
LSFL course fees depend on the level and duration of courses: check all tuition fee rates for the current academic year here.
You may be eligible for tuition funding.
Next term start date: 20 May 2024
The module website will be available to registered students three days in advance of the module start. Module sessions will be opened every week or every two weeks to enable tutor-led, gradual progression through the study materials and continuous assessment.
Course registration is open, but please be aware that due to the increased demand it may take us longer to respond than usual.
Registration closes 10 May 2024 (places subject to availability)
Registration for current students:
Registration for new students:
You have to register as an LSFL student to study this course.
Operational and Strategic Management in Professional Service Firms starts three times a year – in January, May and September.
You might also be interested in
English language requirements
There is no formal requirement to prove your English language proficiency to study our courses. If English is not your native or second language, or you would like to improve specialist language skills necessary for your profession, you may complete one of the following English language courses:
A full range of our English language courses can be viewed here.