What you will study
- Types of professional service firm businesses
- Subsectors of professional service firms
- Organisational behaviour: organisation structure, benchmarking, partnership and governance structures
- Talent management: professional staff recruiting and retention, career tracks, compensation and professional development
- Operations management
- Business economics
- Accounting and finance
- Sales, marketing and relationship management
- Resource management: quality management, knowledge management and innovation
- Strategic management: strategic development and risk management
Key features of the course
- Flexibility to suit your needs – allowing you to study anytime, anywhere
- An emphasis on personal and professional development through independent learning
- Relevance of topics and practical examples to the context of your own professional practice
- Illustrative practice activities with solutions, “test your understanding” activities and tutor-marked assignments to reinforce learning
- Certificate of completion
This non-credit four-month course is intended for students or professionals who want to gain general knowledge, learn a new skill, upgrade existing skills or develop personal interests in subjects related to business management and finance.
This course can be taken alongside your degree or professional qualification studies elsewhere or as part of your informal career development programme. It will be of particular value to undergraduate, postgraduate or professional students of business management, finance, economics and accounting.
- Knowledge and understanding
- Key skills
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Transferable skills
- Accounting professions
- Financial management
- Tax advisory
- Investment analysis and management
- Business administration
- General management
- Sales and marketing
- Risk management
- Management consultancy
- Professional bodies
- Professional training
- Coaching, mentoring and counselling in finance, tax advisory and business management
- Government offices and NGOs
Online learning with tutor guidance and support
How long it takes
16 weeks (128 hours)
You need to be able to spend approximately 8 hours per week on studying this module.
Teaching and assessment
A tutor will guide you throughout the study process and mark and comment on your written work. You and your tutor will primarily communicate with each other through email.
The course work includes online practice tests, tutor-marked assignments and end-of-module assessment. You must use the online VLE-system to submit your tutor-marked assignments and end-of-module assessment.
The Pass mark for the module is 50%. Upon successful completion, students are issued a certificate of completion from London School of Finance and Law.
All study materials are provided on the module website.
Microsoft Office presentations and Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) versions of study material are available.
A computer with a browser and broadband internet access is required for this module. Functionality may be limited on mobile or tablet devices.
If you have a disability or particular study requirements, please tell us as soon as possible.
Course start date: 23 January 2021
The module website will be available to registered students three days in advance of module start. Module sessions will be opened on a weekly basis to enable tutor-led, gradual progression through the study materials and continuous assessment.
Course registration is open, but please be aware that due to the increased demand it may take us longer to respond than usual.
Registration closes 16 January 2021 (places subject to availability)
Registration for current students:
Registration for new students:
You have to apply for LSFL membership to study this course.
Operational and Strategic Management in Professional Service Firms starts three times a year – in January, May and September.
You might also be interested in
English language requirements
There is no formal requirement to prove your English language proficiency to study our courses. If English is not your native or second language, or you would like to improve specialist language skills necessary for your profession, you may complete one of the following English language courses:
A full range of our English language courses can be viewed here.